Wednesday, December 14, 2011

TIME Magazine's 2011 "Person of the Year"

As a kid, I always looked forward to whom TIME Magazine was going to pick for its "Person of the Year". In my family, it was always something we talked about and debated. So when TIME chose "the protestor" as its 2011 Person of The Year this morning, I received lots of emails and calls from family elders. Some thought Steve Jobs deserved it, while others (like me) thought Congresswoman Gabby Giffords would get it.

But as TIME Magazine (and everyone who corresponded with me today) acknowledges, 2011 protests worldwide - from New York City to Cairo to London - have profoundly impacted the way we live, and what we are discussing. These demonstrations were aided largely by social media giants like Facebook and Twitter. I wrote about social media's role in the Cairo protests back in February.

Certainly, the 2011 choice is very timely. Great analysis of their selection on the website, and in the video below.

WATCH:

No comments:

Post a Comment