Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin Laden

Tonight, we learned about the death of Osama Bin Laden. First through social media, and then from President Obama's nationwide address through cable and network TV. I went though a range of emotions throughout most of the evening. Primarily because I have friends who lost loved ones in the attack on the World Trade Center.

I remember seeing the second plane attack live. It was as if my heart had been pierced. That day will always be with me, permanently etched in my memory. The confusion, the disbelief, and yet, average Americans across the country were pulling together in tragedy.

So I understand the waves of spontaneous celebration that have erupted over the news of Bin Laden's death. A mass murderer and terrorist has been brought to justice, and families of the victims of September 11th can now have some measure of closure. A friend of mine told me tonight that she had stayed away from Ground Zero since 2001. The issue was too raw. I could tell it's still raw because she cried on the phone as she was talking about it. Tears, but mostly happy tears. She now feels she can go and pay her respects.

This is a big deal. It will certainly be a day to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment