Monday, January 3, 2011

Amazing Motorcycle Ride on China's Silk Road

One of my New Year's resolutions is to travel internationally. I've never been outside of the United States, so over the next two years I will do more trekking. Period. And one of the first countries I am eyeing is China. Yes, the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square are must sees, as are the sprawling cities of Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Beijing. But before I see any of that, I want to take the popular tour along the Silk Road in China's Xinjiang region. Susan Carpenter, motorcycle critic for the Los Angeles Times, documented her trip in this 2007 video:



I first came across this video in the Summer of 2008. It was great to see some of the Xinjiang region that I had only read about in great travelogues. In fact, nearly three years later, I am still fascinated with that area of China. It borders Russia, Afghanistan, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan and India. It has the beautiful Tian Shan mountain range (captured here by travelers Daniel Noll and Audrey Scott), and the Karakoram Highway, which was was built together by the governments of China and Pakistan.

When I finally venture out into the world, this visually stunning region, representing one-sixth of China's population, will be near the top of my wish list. And yes, I will be riding a motorcycle for the whole trip :)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post and watching the video. I bet you are ready to book a trip soon to see the world. All the best in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a chance to go soon. I spent time touring the province on a motorcycle I bought 2 years ago...love it!

    By the way, I think you meant to say 1/6th of China's land area, not population.

    ReplyDelete