Monday, December 14, 2009

Why I Will NEVER Give Up Twitter's Follow Friday

You read that title right. I will never stop participating in the long Twitter tradition of Follow Friday. Lately, there has been a push in many quarters to shut down the practice altogether. I can't speak for anyone else, but I love it because it allows me to be creative. I use lots of Twitter Keys to enhance my tweets: smiling faces, arrows, hearts, stars, and of course hashtags. It has never ceased being fun.

I do understand the concern that many have voiced. Many now view Follow Friday as "spammy" because many just put lots of names in a tweet. There is a point to this criticism. People should be more creative and targeted in their Follow Friday tweets. Yes, this is true.

But at the end of the day, I'm not going to tell someone how to construct their tweets. I'll show them how I do it. If asked, I'll even give advice. But for many, it's simply harmless fun. And one must remember: its a recommendation, a stamp of approval, if you will, for all that are fortunate to be included.

I suspect that Follow Friday will continue, as Twitter itself evolves and matures even more. It should always be apart of the fabric of the Twitter-verse!

1 comment:

  1. Good points! I use FF to show peeps I really think are worth following.

    Only problem is, I limit the number as there are so many good ones, imo, that it would look spammy.

    Perhaps if twitter can sort out the limitations of the RT function, it can direct its resources to FF simplification.

    ReplyDelete