Monday, August 10, 2009

MUSIC MONDAY

This is a new edition to this blog: Music Monday! As my readers know, I have musical tastes that are varied. There isn't one sound that defines who I am, or speaks directly to what I like, and what I'm passionate about. Many sounds and genres and artists do that. So every Monday I'm going to give everyone a taste of what I grew up on, and, what I listen to at the moment. It's going to be fun. And please list your Music Monday favorites in the comment section below.


DON'T STOP 'TIL YOU GET ENOUGH - (1979)



Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough is the first song on Off The Wall, my favorite album of all-time. As a boy, there was no record that came out in 1979 that even came close. I mimicked Jackson's moves in my room mirror, and played the song every day for years. It still rocks!


DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER - (1986)



I remember this song like it was yesterday. The video was very conceptual, and it worked beautifully. It helped make this song a monster hit for the Australian group Crowded House. In fact, I remember the song being used every year in promos for the old Beverly Hills 90210 series of the 90's.


DOO WOP (THAT THING) - (1997)



This hit by Lauren Hill was my favorite song of 1997. In the video, you see the juxtaposition of historical and contemporary hairstyles, clothing, cars, etc. It's the perfect compliment to this hit - one of many awesome tunes from one of the most socially conscious, spiritually uplifting albums ever: The Mis-Education of Lauren Hill.


ME AND MY GANG - (2006)



This song rocks hard! It's from one of my favorite groups, Rascal Flatts. Though classified as a country music song, its sound was universally embraced. Its guitar riffs and lead singer Gary LeVox's soulful voice make it a winner.

4 comments:

  1. Hot. Can't go wrong with Michael Jackson. I think his "Thriller" album was slightly better than "Off the Wall".

    But Can't Stop 'Til You Get Enough is his best song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with Rascal Flatts! Those are some hot fellas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were rollin' like that! LOL! What you know about Rascal Flatts? I love those guys. They give a great show.

    BTW, what ever happened to Lauren Hill? SHe had a great album and just disappeared. We need her music now more than ever.

    Next week, put in a video from The Thompson Twins or Level 42 or Simple Minds, you know, from one of the 80s bands from Great Britain. That would be hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Tameka. I will use one of the groups you mentioned above next Monday. I'm a big 80s rock fan, and I did like a lot of those british rock groups. COme back next Monday and see what I use.

    ReplyDelete