Thursday, July 16, 2009

4 Reasons Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz Could Be President or Vice-President in 2016


I've said for sometime that a woman will be president or vice-president in 2016. Yes. Trust me. I believe it wholeheartedly. A woman whose name is in the mix is U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. I know, I know, you're saying, "I’ve never heard of her. She doesn't have the name recognition of Sarah Palin or the major public policy buzz of Kathleen Sebelius. And she's not a Governor or U.S. Senator." All of this true. But Schultz is riding a wave that will only get bigger. And picking her has its advantages.

Here are 4 reasons she could be on the Democrats' 2016 National Ticket:

Democratic Unifier – Throughout the 2007 and 2008 Primary Season, Schultz was resolute in her support for Hillary Clinton. Whether on TV, radio, or in the blogosphere, Schultz was an unflappable supporter. But when Barack Obama won the Democratic Nomination, Schultz quickly endorsed him and campaigned vigorously. None of this has been lost on any of the Democratic Party constituencies. Her tireless efforts to unify the Obama and Clinton camps won her kudos from the party faithful, and instantly made her a power player in national politics.

Florida, Florida, Florida – Schultz represents Florida in the U.S. Congress, and coincidentally, Florida is a swing state and a bellwether state, as both major political parties covet its huge batch of electoral votes. It has heavily Democratic Miami, heavily Republican Jacksonville, as well as the sparsely populated panhandle which is also reliably Republican. But Schultz is the type of Floridian who could tap into and solidify the robust population growth among the I-4 corridor that connects Daytona Beach, Orlando, and Tampa. This would keep the state Democratic.

Her Jewish Heritage – For years, it was a forgone conclusion that a Jewish American would never make it to The White House. But with the more tolerant views of 80 million politically involved millennials (who helped elect President Obama), Schultz’ Jewish heritage won’t be a liability. It would be interesting to see how she approaches the protracted Israeli-Palestinian conflict which continues to impact our Middle East Foreign Policy. Moreover, her presence would ensure a record turnout among American Jews – a turnout that could be higher than even Joseph Lieberman was able to deliver as the V.P. Candidate for Al Gore in 2000.

The Years 2016 & 2020 – What’s the significance of 2016? Because it's the 100th anniversary of Jeannette Rankin being the first woman elected to the Congress. Her election was all the more remarkable because women couldn't vote at that time, and were clearly relegated to second class citizenship. All of this means 2016 will be sturdy a bridge to 2020, which is the 100th anniversary of the woman’s right to vote in America. See how things could shape up? It promises to be a very reflective, euphoric, and celebratory period, and Schultz (with her considerable political gifts) could take full advantage of the great national mood 2016 & 2020 will engender.

16 comments:

  1. I've long been a fan of hers. Personally I'd love to see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post 2morrowknight! I love Wasserman-Schultz! Like me, she was a Hillary fan. And, I'm happy she helped to heal the wounds of the Democratic Primaries. Classy woman.

    Yes, I can see her as Prez or Vice-Prez! I love her!

    Oh, I never knew that there was a woman elected to Congress before women had the right to vote. Thanks for adding that info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 2morrowknight. Around 2016, her Jewish Heritage won't be that big of an issue. She'd make a great president or vice-president.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I did not know about her but will be ceratin to follow her career progress now. With the above events taking places in the coming years, it certainly looks like the culmination of a woman president. I would love to see follow ups to this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thoughts on this topic (and your supporting argument) and would love to see a woman with so much capability make it to the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. I love her. She could do it. And it would be hot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She was a great supporter of Hillary Clinton. I was too, and I remember her. I'd vote for her in a second. I hope she's on the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am terrible with politics, but I agree with your thoughts! I've always wanted to see more diversity - like a Jewish American in the White House! And I agree with the timing too! I am going to be on the lookout for her in politics now! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely! This woman is a winner. She's tough, knowledgeable, popular with literally every group in the Democratic Party.

    Also, I believe she's 43 right now. So in 2016, she'll be 50 years old. This is key because young people, I believe, will not go for a woman who is either pushing 60 or over the 60 threshold. Not after Obama. I say this because Kathleen Sebelius (who I love and who 2morrowknight mentions in the above piece) has been touted as a possible VP.

    Of course, a lot would have to work for her to be VP, or president. But the possibility of having her on the Democratic Ticket in 2016 is exciting to think about...plus, my husband has a mini crush on her, so she gets major love in our household.

    Run Debbie Run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She wasn't on my radar before, but your post is so well written that you can't help but pay attention to her now. Can't wait to meet the woman. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2morrowknight, I believe its very feasible. As Susan above noted, a lot has to work out, but Rep. Schultz has the goods. She was a "drum major" for Hillary Clinton during the primaries. She really was. Very effective.

    I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so good that you are promoting this. I hope you can broaden it. Thanks so much for your efforts,

    Sandy Abrams
    ParadiseGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiya ! yap she could have been on fronts...



    joollliiieeess:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...thanks for all of your comments! Very positive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would support her in a heartbeat! I love Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

    ReplyDelete